The inscription on the medal in commemoration of foundation of Saint–Petersburg, 1703
Was laid «Admiralty Shipyards», the oldest shipbuilding enterprise of Russia.
«In 1704, on the fifth of November was found the Admiralty house, 200 sazhen long and 100 sazhen wide, we were in the osteria and celebrated it », — from the records in «Travel journal of Peter the First (1696 –1709)».
In one year after the foundation of the shipyard was under way the construction of two bombarding ships, two prams and 24 boats.
Were launched: the first large ship – 18-gun pram «Skinia Zaveta»; the yachts «Ekaterina» and «Lubov». It took only 4 months to construct the lead yacht of Russian fleet «Nadezda».
Peter the First and Fedor Sklyaev laid down the first frigate of Baltic fleet – 54-gun «Poltava». At the suggestion of the czar for the first time ever for shipboard guns were used gun mounting made of iron. The ship happened to be not only powerful, but also maneuvering, while the bow configuration simplified scending.
On the stocks of «Admiralty Shipyards» are simultaneously constructed 10 combat vessels, among which 60-gun
«Schlusselburg», 70-gun «Holy Alexander» and the first in the Russian Navy three-deck 90-gun ship of first rate «Lesnoye». During this time period, were developed principally new technologies of shipbuilding, which became the basis for section assembly method widely applicable at present time.
Was launched 64-gun frigate «Ingermanland», which became the prototype ship for the biggest series in the world consisting of more than 60 units. The squadron by Dmitry Senyavin, defeated Turkish fleet in Dardanelles and Athos battles, consisted of the ships of this series. By the end of 1715 at the shipyards of Main Admiralty already were simultaneously constructed ten 60-90-gun vessels.
For the purposes of the Baltic fleet was built the first ship-repairing covered berth for frigates. Previously the vessels for repair were hailed on shore resulting in additional damages. Alternatively, the vessels were just destroyed and then were built the new ones. Аdmiralty Shipyards became a pioneer in arrangement of restorative repair of the ships.
In presence of Peter the First was tested the «secret vessel» by Efim Nikonov — the prototype of the first submarine. During the trials the «secret vessel» dived three times, but during a diving it happened to be damaged. On the death of Peter the Fist the ingenious invention of the talented Russian peasant was lost. However justified recognition obtained Efim Nikonov after 300 years: «secret vessel» – submarines – became the main specialization of «Admiralty Shipyards».
Beginning of the construction of the commercial ships: forest-product carrier of Arkhangelsk type and small internal navigation vessels for delivery of cargoes from Kronstadt to Petersburg.
Was launched the first in Russia 100-gun battleship «Peter I and II», which was active for 25 years. The keel-laying of the ship completed Petrine period in national shipbuilding. Within 25 years Peter the Great converted the landlocked country into a powerful maritime nation.
80 galleys were delivered to the Baltic fleet on the occasion of the brilliant victories in Gangut and Grengam. During short reigning of Catherine I the construction of large ships was significantly reduced.
Was completed the construction of most powerful battleship in the Baltic fleet, first rate «Empress Anna». During reigning of Anna Ioanovna were built over 110 ships: battleships, frigates, prams, bomb ketches, large and small galleys.
Was launched 80-gun battleship «Saint Paul», which on 7 of June participated together with the squadron of Nikolay Golovin in the battle with Swedish fleet at cape Gangut. Then two years apart were launched 66-gun ship «Saint Barbara, the Great Martyr» and 100-gun ship «Zacharias and Elizabeth». In the reign of Catherine the Great Admiralty Shipyards was the only major shipbuilding enterprise of Russia, which was capable to construct all types of vessels for national fleet.
Was built the first special training 10-gun frigate «Nadezda» for deck seamanship of midshipmen and naval cadets.
Was laid first domestic 130-gun frigate «Grace», constructed within a very short time. It was launched already in August of the next year. Onboard the vessel for the first time was used the technology of underbody copper sheathing.
Was built the first in Russia steamship «Elizabeth». Were arranged first scheduled passenger voyages to Kronstadt, Lisiy Nos, Оranienbaum and Petrozavodsk by means of 11 steamships, built by Admiralty Shipyards.
Was launched steam ship «Volga», which became the model for construction of river service ships for a few decades. For the first time onboard the steam ship was installed the twin engine with capacity of 60 horse power. The powerful and reliable ship worked before early eighteen-fifties.
Was laid first steam frigate «Warrior» with the rigging and a wheeled running gear. The capacity of the steam engine was 240 horse power. Because the wheels did not allow to install the guns on the shipboards, 28 large-caliber guns were concentrated on the ship ends.
Was launched the first in Russia steam ship for open sea – 46-gun sailing –propeller driven frigate «Askold». Under the command of captain I rank Ivan Unikovskiy the ship made a unique duration cruise along the following route Kronstadt – Кeel – Brest – cape of Good Hope – Hong Kong – Nagasaki – Hakodate – Кanagawa – Manila – cape of Good Hope – Plymouth – Кronstadt.
Was laid the lead gun boat «Big gun» in the series of 36 gunnery ships of small tonnage. The ships of the type made first line of coastal defense of Baltic Sea. Altogether Admiralty Shipyards built 51 steam gun boats.
Was launched the first in Russia armor-plated ship – floating battery «Don’t touch me». The first armor-plated ship had a thickness of armor 102 – 114 mm. In the side compartments were arranged special tanks after flooding of which the ship draft was increased and the exposed area appearing above water was reduced.
The Baltic fleet was delivered the first domestic armor-plated battleship «Pertopavlovsk», which became the first Russian ship with installed rifled artillery of domestic production and electric searchlights.
Was laid the first in the world turret battleship, the most powerful ship for its time «Cruiser» (since 1872 «Peter the Great»). Well-known British designer Edward Reed wrote in the newspaper «The Times»: «Russians succeeded us not only in respect of operational forces of existing ships but also in respect of new methods of their construction. Their battleship «Peter the Great» can absolutely free enter any British ports, because it is more powerful vessel than any of our own battleships».
Was constructed unusual ship of round shape – cost defense battleship «Novgorod». In the middle of XIX century in compliance with the Paris treaty for all countries of the Black Sea, including Russia, it was forbidden to have marine forces in the Black Sea. For coastal defense construction engineer Popov proposed to build the round battleships, which with speed of 6 knots do not correspond with a ship’s class, however their diameter was 30 meters and they were equipped with 280 mm guns.
Was launched the first protected corvett «Vityaz». Under command of admiral S.O. Makarov the unique ship made 387-day around-the-world cruise, in the course of which were performed important geographic and oceanographic researches. The corvett rightly became one of the widely recognized research ships, its name was stamped on the fronton of Oceanographic museum in Monako.
Was built the legendary cruiser «Aurora», which took part in all wars taken by USSR in XX century.
Were laid two most powerful cruisers of the time «Borodino» and «Navarin» named after the armor-plated ships lost in Russo –Japanese war. By the time was related the first experience of construction of submarines by the enterprise. The employee of the shipyard developed the technology of riveting connection of metal hull sections and for the first time were fabricated the hulls for the four submarine of type «Bars», outfitting of which was later transferred to Revel Shipyard. It marked the beginning of serial construction of submarines in Russia.
Was constructed the series of four refrigerated cargo motor ships for line Odessa-Marsel. These «floating refrigerators» became the first large vessels built by the enterprise after the revolution and they had most cargo carrying capacity in the Soviet fleet with the capacity of refrigerated holds in 2000 tons.
Beginning of production of the hulls of most advanced domestic submarines of type «Q» of series V. The hulls consisting of eight sections on the railway platforms were delivered to Dalzavod in Vladivostok for consequent assembly and outfitting. Besides, was constructed the series of 11 river 200-horse-power tug boats for river driving, the particulars of which far outnumbered the mean values of foreign analogues.
Were launched the timber carriers of series VI «Clara Tsetkin» and «Second five-year plan», intended for London sea line. For the first time ever main and auxiliary machineries, hull fittings, boilers and other equipment were completely made in the USSR.
The first completely built by Admiralty Shipyards submarine Q-305 of series V-bis was delivered to the Baltic fleet. Altogether the enterprise constructed 36 combat units of this project.
Were laid the passenger-cargo steam boats for ice navigation «Dezhnev» and «S.A. Levanevskiy». In the days of the Great Patriotic War «Dezhnev» served as a patrol craft of the Northern fleet in the White Sea and the Kara Sea. At the end of August of 1942 in port of Dixon it fighted with the German large cruiser «Admiral Sheer» and did not allow the enemy raider to block the Norheast Passage, which was needed to the USSR for getting help from the allies.
Was laid the first in the country fully welded submarine M-88 of series XII. Altogether «Admiralty Shipyards» constructed 14 submarines of the project. Additionally was started the construction of submarine of type «S» of series IX-bis, all six submarines of the series for high battle performances during the Great Patriotic War were awarded Orders with the Red Banner. In addition in this very year was laid the series of 9 submarine cruisers of type «К», designed for long-distance voyages.
By the beginning of the Great Patriotic War the «Admiralty Shipyards» constructed 316 torpedo boats, and also 69 submarines of following series «M», «Q», «S» and «K», which composed 1/3 character of the submarine contingent of the USSR. For civil fleet the enterprise constructed 6 cargo-and-passenger, 10 hydrographic survey, 3 buoy-crafting vessels, 6 refrigerated vessels, 8 timber carriers, 1 ice-breaker, 38 tug boats, 8 river passenger boats, 1 concrete barge, 7 non-propelled barges and 3 floating docks.
In the conditions of the war and the siege the Admiralty Shipyards delivered to the Navy 7 submarines, 22 tugboats of type МБК, 48 submarine chasers, 116 self-propelled pontoons, 5 lifting pontoons with lifting capacity of 200 tons. In the facilities were repaired and re-equipped over 260 ships and vessels. The women and the children which replaced the machine men fabricated for the front needs about 3, 000 sets of trawls, 8, 000 explosive cutters, 120 000 marine mines МШ-120, 300 mooring mines, 1,500 mine throwers МБ-82, 30,000 metal and sapper spade shovels, 900 buoys for trawls, 91 sets of paravanes, 80,000 shall cases, mines, drop bombs, 18 300 units of tank components were delivered to Kirovskiy plant.
During the post-war years the enterprise continued to construct submarines and surface ships, miscellaneous vessels for civil fleet. The employees of «Admiralty Shipyards» delivered to the Navy the destroyers of project 30К «Brave» and «Gifted»; the destroyers of project 29 К; four cruisers of project 68-bis of type «Sverdlov»; the series of 20 tankers of type «Leningrad» to the civil fleet.
Was laid the tanker «Leningrad», the first fully welded tanker of project 563. Altogether were constructed 26 tankers of the series, five of which for the first time ever in the history of «Admiralty Shipyards» for export to German Democratic Republic.
The Navy received small submarine with one engine of project 615, the speed of which for the first time ever reached 15 knots in submerged condition. In addition was started the construction of the series of 30 submarines of project 615А. The block construction utilized for the first time permitted to cut the slipway period by half.
Was delivered to the Navy the submarine with hydrogen peroxide turbine С-99 of project 617. The turbine drive allowed to maintain the underwater speed on the level of 20 knots. It was a significant achievement before appearance of nuclear –powered submarines.
Was laid the prototype submarine of project 641, during construction of which was applied heat–resistant steel АК-25, which allowed to increase the depth of submersion up to 280 meters. The series of submarines consisting of 75 units of the project became the largest in the enterprise’s history.
Was built the first nuclear-powered icebreaker «Lenin» with nuclear power plant. During the construction and the trials the nuclear –powered vessel visited many delegations and representatives of different countries of the world including the prime-minister of Great Britain Harold Macmillan, Vice-President of USA Richard Nixon, the ministers of PRC. During 30 years of operation the ice-breaker passed over 500 thousand miles, among them 350 thousand miles on the ice with thickness 2 meters, it piloted over 3500 vessels through the Northeast Passage. At the same time the first civil nuclear-powered vessel became the training and practical base for preparation more than 5000 sailors for nuclear-powered icebreaking fleet.
Was started construction of vessels of project 97 (and its modifications) consisting of 16 units of patrol ice-breakers and patrol gunboats of ice class. The structure happened to be so successful that these vessels became the most popular icebreakers built for domestic fleet.
The first large fishing mother ship «Andrey Zakharov» was delivered to the Customer. In total were built 14 canning factory ships, each of them provided processing of not less than 66 tons of industrial fish per day. In the course of the construction, the project was continuously upgraded, therefore the canning factory ship «Shipbuilder Klopotov», delivered in 1967, due to the additional canning lines had daily output twice as much as the first vessel in the series «Andrey Zakharov».
Was laid prototype tanker «Hanoi» in the series of 7 tankers of project 1552. The tankers of the series became the largest liquid cargo vessels of naval forces of the country. After completion of the construction the tanker tonnage of the USSR raised from twelfth to fifth rank in the world.
Was laid the prototype nuclear-powered submarine of the series of project 671. The distinctive features of the submarines of this project became up-graded hydrodynamics, submerged speed in 30 knots, and application in the pressure hull structure of a new grade of steel АК-29 allowed to increase the submerged depth up to 400 meters.
Was laid down super large fish-processing plant «Vostok», the facilities of which allowed to process up to 300 tons of industrial fish per day. The plant was designed for development of most remote tropical and equatorial areas of World ocean and for the first time in the world’s practice included a whole flotilla, consisting of 14 fishing boats.
Was built the submarine of project И 641 (Foxtrot according to the classification of NATO) «Kalvari», which became the first submarine in the USSR built for export and the first submarine of Indian submarine forces.
Was started the construction of nuclear-powered third generation submarines of project 705. The submarines of this project became a pride of the Soviet Navy. Having speed of 41 knots, comparable to the speed of enemy’s torpedoes, as a matter of fact, the submarines had aviation acceleration capabilities – they were capable to reach the full speed within one minute. During 20 years of exploitation of the submarines of the project no man was lost in the damage control.
On demand of Fisheries Ministry of the USSR was constructed self-contained manned underwater powered vehicle «Sever-2». During the exploitation period the vehicle passed in underwater position about 22 000 kilometers in all seas of World ocean; for the first time ever it dived at depth of 2000 meters in the Ross Sea (Аntarctic).
Was completed the construction of the series of units of harbor ice-breakers of project 97 and its modifications. On the basis of the project was built the only research ice-breaker in the world for performance of hydrometeorological researches and air monitoring in Arctic Regions (project 97Н) «Otto Shmidt», which took part in 40 scientific expeditions. The ice-breaker participated in several global programs of Academy of Sciences of the USSR: «Kara experiment», «Barents experiment», «Polar experiment».
Was started the construction of the series of towed underwater viewing chambers with diving depth of 300 meters: two vehicles of type «Atlant-2»; six vehicles – «Tetis» of project 1605; four vehicles – «Теtis-N» of project 16051. By 1985 the vehicles conducted 5200 divings, including ones for examination of the burial grounds of chemical weapons of Fist and Second World Wars.
Was put into operation self-propelled two seater underwater vehicle «Tinro-2» of project 1602, with diving depth of 400 meters. The vehicle conducted the researches in the Black Sea, the Sea of Okhotsk, Bering Sea, at the cost of Africa, in the area of the Bermuda Triangle; in 1993 the vehicle participated in lifting of the wreckage of Korean Boeing-747 off the Sakhalin coast.
Self-contained manned powered development vehicle «Poisk – 2» of project 1832 was delivered to the Customer. The deep-diving vehicle was designed for operations at depths up to 2000 meters.
The large submarine base-laboratory of project 1840 was delivered to the Customer. During operation of the submarine laboratory was reached the maximum duration of staying of divers in sea with the use of hot-water suits in national and world practice. For the first time from the submarine – laboratory board at depth of 50 meters were executed complicated diving operations: survey of the hull and the outboard holes; metal cutting and assembly of constructions.
Was put into operation the unique self-contained deep-diving vehicle «Poisk – 6» of project 1906. For the first time in the history of national fleet in August of 1985 in area of Kuril Ridge the vehicle dived at the depth of 6015 meters.
Was started the construction of the series of mini submarines «Piranha» of project 865. The submarine had a crew of three officers, in addition it was capable to take aboard a reconnaissance and sabotage group, consisting of six persons. Departure of saboteur underwater swimmers could be performed at depth up to 60 meters and aground.
Was completed the construction of the series of submarines of type «Triton-1 М» and «Triton-2». 45 units of mini submarines built by «Admiralty Shipyards» for saturated divers became the most numerous in submarine arsenal of the Navy.
The first diesel-electric submarine of project 877 EКМ was delivered to the Navy of Republic of India. By 2000 Admiralty Shipyards already built 11 submarines of the export modification of project 877.
The prototype research submarine «Mackerel» of project 1710 was delivered to the Navy, onboard of which were implemented the innovative decisions in area of hydrodynamics. In between-hull space of the submarine was placed the system of delivery of polymer paste to boundary layer of outer casing and propeller shaft, as a result was reached multiple increase of the submarine underwater speed.
«Admiralty Shipyards» completed the construction of the series of two unique vessels of command-and-measurement complex
«Marshall Krylov» and «Marshall Nedelin», provided for execution of research and practice tasks and also tactical functions for supporting of air performance and designing tests and for development of new samples of rocket and space equipment. The vessels participated in tests of all types of domestic intercontinental ballistic missiles, they ensured all manned flights of space vehicles.
Was laid down the prototype tanker «Indra». The vessels of this series were built for foreign customers from Norway, India, Germany. Because of the application of new technologies during construction of the series the construction period was cut to a third and the labor intensity was halved.
Was laid down the tanker «Victor Dubrovskiy», which became the first product carrier- chemical tanker built upon a Russian project. Besides the tanker was noted for high degree of automation, during sea trials the tanker operated for 24-hour period in unmanned mode.
Was started the construction of the first series consisting of seven submarines of project 636 for People’s Republic of China. During construction of the series at «Admiralty Shipyards» was established the tradition of performance of hull laying official ceremony.
Was laid down the prototype ice-class tanker «Astrakhan» of project 20070, which became the first vessel constructed for a national customer after a long break. During construction of the tanker the working drawings for the first time were developed by the specialists of the enterprise. Onboard the fourth tanker built upon upgraded project 20071, for the first time in the history of world shipbuilding was installed the bow loading system, allowing to take oil from the submarine pipeline in ice conditions.
Was built the self-contained deep-diving vehicle «Rus» of project 16810. The deep-diving trials with divings up to 6000 meters took place in area of Azores.